Friday, September 18, 2009

Why My Kids Will Go Public School

You can read a very well-written article here:

Some of my favorite quotes/points:
"Christians, sadly, tend to believe more in the negative power of sin than they do in the redemptive power of Christ in the lives of His people."

"does the “bad apple” theory really hold sway over salt-n-light? And if so, is avoidance and disengagement the answer? It points to fatalism and a disbelief that Christ really changes anything in individual lives or society."

"But it’s not just about the kids. Adults—teachers, faculty, and parents—have to be an integral part of kingdom-building in public schools...we are trying to find practical ways to reach out to these children and their families. Knowing them, and sharing life together, is the crucial first step."

Thanks for sharing the article, Derek (you know who you are)!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My wife and I have talked about these things for a while. Not just the school issue, but what it means to really be missional and how it involves our children, our family.

The college ministry I work with hands out burgers and hot dogs outside our building on busy Friday nights. We're on the main bar street in town, and by night I mean midnight until 3am or later. We've talked about when it will be appropriate for me to bring my daughter out to 1. observe and 2. help serve. Some people think this is a crazy, bad idea.

For a long time my understanding of God's grace, love and forgiveness was pretty shallow. "God, forgive me for not being good at quiet times," or "God's grace covers me when I've been lustful or watched dirty movies."
But no, God's grace is amazing. It changes people. Really. It CHANGES people. God's forgiveness isn't just for when we slip up or backslide between Sundays...it brings us back from the depths of emptiness and despair, from death to life. These are extremes. It's POWERFUL.

My kids need to know this.

People might worry about my kids seeing drunk, cussing, obnoxious, lewd college students (this is a stereotype...even most drunk students are nice and thankful for free food). But I think about this: they will know many--too many--kids their own age who go home to this life everyday.
Looking back, I know I did.
How do their friends, who live this life, view reality...God? How will my kids be able to understand and relate to their friends who have a completely different idea of what reality is and what life is all about? What if my kid's understanding of God is too small to meet the needs of their friends? TOO SMALL, really?

God is BIG! I want my kids to know God as He is. A BIG God, capable of loving the hardest to love. Able to change lives...really...change...lives.

But then, of course, I have to believe this, too. I have to live it out. I have to be willing to follow Jesus to the tax collector's house for lunch, agree with him in affirming the prostitute in the midst of the pious, and lay my hand on the shoulder of the leper yet to be healed.

Taking my kids to serve food to college students out late on a Friday night, or sending them to public school--these things are really not very good ideas. Unless, of course, they go armed with the Spirit of God.

So, this is my prayer: God, use me. Help me to follow where you lead. Reveal yourself to me, and to my family. Allow us to be witness to the power you have to change lives, to bring life out of death. Fill us up, and send us out.*


*just a note: I was singing Tim Hughes' "God of Justice" in my head when I was writing this. He penned the line "fill us up and send us out"--which is so appropriate

Oh, and if you haven't watched it yet, go back to my earlier post and watch the video of Frances Chan.

It was late when I wrote this, I hope it makes sense and is true to the heart of God.


No comments: